Introduction to Radiation Protection
Atomic structure of matter
- how physicists imagine the structure of atoms,
- how the elements differ one from the other,
- what isotopes are.
- what ionizing radiation is,
- what types of nuclear radiation exist,
- the basic properties of these radiation types.
- the law of radioactive decay,
- what physicists understand under radioactive substance
- how to calculate the activity of a radioactive substance at a specific time.
The energy of ionizing radiation
- the energy unit electronvolt,
- what an energy spectra means,
- the energy spectra of the different types of nuclear radiation.
Interaction of radiation with matter
- which interactions of ionizing radiation with matter can take place ,
- which effects photons may initiate when hitting matter.
- how X-rays are generated in an X-ray tube,
- how the spectrum of X-rays looks like,
- on what the energy of the x-ray radiation depends.
- different dose concepts to describe the dose radiation effects,
- how the different types of radiation differ in their biological consequences.
- what the dose rate indicates,
- the relationship between dose, dose rate and time.
More details can be found in CINCH Moddle platform.