In the general part of the lecture students become familiar with the preparation of enriched stable nuclides and radionuclides, nomenclature of labelled compounds, basic principles of safety and specific requirements for laboratory equipment and experimental setup for work with isotopes.
Next, laboratory operations with labelled compounds and methods of structural, isotopic and radiometric analyses are discussed, together with specificity of carrier-added and carrier-free preparations, fast and online syntheses, automated syntheses, biosyntheses.
In the systematic part of the lecture, the isotope-specific methods of the most common elements are particularly discussed, together with the applications of labelled compounds.
- Preparation of enriched stable nuclides and radionuclides.
- Nomenclature of labelled compounds.
- Laboratory equipment, experimental setup, safety
- Reaction apparatuses, preparations in micro- and macro- scale
- Methods of structural, isotopic and radiometric analyses
- Specificity of carrier-added and carrier-free preparations
- Fast and online syntheses, automated syntheses, biosyntheses
- Syntheses with hydrogen isotopes
- Syntheses with carbon isotopes
- Syntheses with nitrogen isotopes
- Syntheses with sulphur isotopes
- Syntheses with phosphorus and oxygen isotopes
- Syntheses with halogenides isotopes
- Syntheses with other nuclides isotopes
- Aplications of labelled compounds
Acquired knowledge: Students learn basic aspects of preparation, analysis and nomenclature of isotopically labelled compounds, methods of inorganic and organic syntheses with isotopes, stability of radio- and stable- isotope labelled compounds and isotopic effects.
Acquired skills: The students gain knowledge in the syntheses with isotopes and be able to design optimal synthetic route for labelled compounds preparation.
Students prepare seminary work and make presentation on a specified topic. Students work is verified with exam.
Key words: isotopes, synthesis
- Leštický L.: Metody přípravy izotopicky značených sloučenin. SPN Praha, 1978.
- Lešetický L.: Některé aplikace značených sloučenin. Univerzita Karlova Praha, 1981.
- Voges R., Heys J.R., Moenius T.: Preparation of compounds labeled with Tritium and Carbon-14. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. 2009. ISBN: 978-0-470-51607-2.
- Buncel E., Lee C.C. eds.: Isotopes in organic chemistry, Vol.1-3, Elsevier 1975.
- Murray A. III., Williams D.L.: Organic syntheses with isotopes. Interscience publishers Inc. New York, 1958.
- Herber R.H. ed.: Inorganic isotopic syntheses. W.A. Benjamin, Inc. New York, 1962.
- Wolfe R.R., Chinkes, D.L.: Isotope tracers in metabolic research.2nd edition, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. 2005. ISBN: 978-0-471-46209-5.